top of page

Family-Based Green Cards

Helping to Keep Families Together

At SG Legal Group, we really enjoy what we do, especially when it involves bringing family members together. We do not stop until the long and arduous process is complete and the families are reunited.


The United States is home to many who have family abroad. Fortunately, this nation’s immigration system allows citizens and lawful permanent residents to file visa petitions for their family members. Immediate family members, especially spouses and children of U.S. citizens can find the process easier than other extended family members. Regardless of the family relationship, we can help you navigate the immigration process for your family member. Our lawyers have legal expertise both on a personal and professional level with family immigration and empathize with the struggle to meet the immigration obstacles you face along the way. We are looking forward to working with you at the most affordable Baltimore immigration lawyer cost!

Relative Petitions  –  Under the Immigration Law of the United States, certain individuals who are Permanent Residents or U.S. citizens are able to petition a family member who does not have a permanent or legal immigrant status in the United States. The process of petitioning for one’s family member is known as a relative petition and is filed on Form I-130. Consult with our attorneys to see if you qualify to petition for a family member such as your spouse, parent, child, or sibling.

What options does your relative have?

family-based - between paragraphs.jpg

Fiancé Petitions   –  Similar to Relative petitions, a petition for a person’s fiancé is used to bring a person who is outside of the United States who is engaged to marry a U.S. citizen within 90 days of the person’s entry into the United States.


Permanent Residence  –  An application for permanent residence or green card application is the second step which follows the family relative petition. There are two paths to complete the permanent residence process, one is filing Form I-485 and adjust your permanent residence while living in the United States. The second path is to apply for an immigrant visa at a consulate in your home country and gain entry into the United States after having an interview at the U.S. consulate in your country. It is imperative to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to correctly identify your eligibility for permanent residence in the United States. The wrong help can land you in deportation proceedings or can make you lose thousands of dollars in government application fees.


If you are in the U.S. and have been abused by your citizen family member, certain provisions of the Violence Against Women Act may provide immigration relief.

bottom of page